I’m without phone for a few days. My usb port on the phone died and then the phone followed suit. I have another phone coming but won’t be here until Wednesday. I’m off the grid! (if the grid just meant cellular) – so if you want to Skype, get dressed up in your Sunday best, a tight sweater if you’re a woman, and find me!
I ride my bike to work (ten miles, about forty minutes) and I normally listen to podcasts/music on the way. Since I didn’t have a device, I went pure D.J. – and I decided to keep track in my head. While I was having thoughts. Trying to keep track of your thoughts about your thoughts is not easy.
Here’s what happened:
- 5 min – Felt the pain of a dream I had that morning of a woman I was really close to leaving our friendship. She never called or said why – just took off. I dreamt about it and woke up totally bummed out. This happened nearly seven years ago.
- 3 min – Tried to come up with jokes about how eating steak marinated in teryaki gives me horrendous gas. Didn’t.
- 10 min – Conducted mock interview with myself. Asked such hard-hitting questions as “Did you ever think you’d be named the Greatest Blogger in Chicago?” and “You were #27 on People Magazine’s Most Beautiful list. Do you feel beautiful?” and “Tell us about your dog. How important is she to your well-being?” (I know these sound made-up. Sadly, they were not.)
- 10 min – Started thinking of what to write about today. Came up with nothing. Instead sang the entire Roger Waters song “Amused to Death” in real time in my head. I can do that.
- 5 min – Questioned why I didn’t hardly leave the house this weekend and why I don’t seem to be motivated to do so. Went into shame spiral.
- 3 min – Thought about Dr. Who. Trying to put my finger on why I like it, when I never watch anything science fiction.
- 4 min – Sex
Well, there you have it. Now, I’m going to make the bike ride home. Will report back, since this was so fascinating.
I’d also like to state that when I get out of my yogurt rotation on the weekend, Monday is pretty rough. You know what I mean.